Nutrition Rant

Post questions and tips on right foods and right balance of nutrients for combat sports and martial arts, individual encounter games (for example, tennis), and team games.

Re: Nutrition Rant

Postby CSta » Jul 09, 2011 19:51

Yes, it's been a while. If you've read the previous posts, you know that when I last had my cholesterol checked I was eating a high-fat (now diet. Currently, I'm eating a much lower fat diet consisting mostly of eggs (about 2 a day), potatoes, carrots, Vit D milk, cream, a little butter, berries, lettuce, and other tidbits here and there. I estimate I cut my fat consumption at least in half. I had my cholesterol checked a few days ago. Here are the results:

Total: 164 (a reduction of 66 from my last test). The average doctor would say this is good.
LDL: 95 (a reduction of 78) Also good
HDL: 29 (a reduction of 17) Bad
Triglycerides: 202 (an increase of 130) Bad

Here are the "old" numbers
Total: 233
LDL: 173
HDL: 46
Triglycerides: 72

So what is one to take from this? Am I healthier? Sicker? Do these numbers have any practical meaning for me? Or are they useful only for predicting how many in the herd will fall? I'm heading to a high-risk heart clinic in the near future. We'll see if anyone there has an intelligent answer.

Return to Nutrition for Combat Sports, Individual Encounter Sports, and Team Games