steroids

Use this forum for sports and martial arts training topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums.

steroids

Postby jaysheldon21 » Mar 17, 2006 09:44

Ive been told that steroids would help me in my martial arts training has anyone got any advice about this please? I would be grateful for your advice. thanks :)
jaysheldon21
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mar 17, 2006 08:35

Postby CrazyBoy » Mar 17, 2006 11:40

Unless you are a bodybuilder, I don't see the reason for taking steroids. And if you choose to take steroids, then be sure you have a medical opinion on this.
CrazyBoy
 
Posts: 300
Joined: May 16, 2005 15:09
Location: Romania, Oltenita

Re: steroids

Postby DanBor » Mar 17, 2006 12:06

jaysheldon21 wrote:Ive been told that steroids would help me in my martial arts training has anyone got any advice about this please? I would be grateful for your advice. thanks :)


I don't see in what way would steroids help you in martial arts. Only hard work and dedication makes you a martial artist.
DanBor
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Nov 24, 2005 02:27

Postby dragon » Mar 17, 2006 12:16

Steroids could help any performance athlete.It could help you make weight if you want to move up a weight class,can help you train longer and harder,and the 'roid rage could give you increased aggression when fighting.
There are lots of risks with taking performance enhancing drugs but those should be given to you by someone far more knowledgable than me.

The main thing you have to assess is the increased benefits compared to these risks.
If you aren't a pro who needs to win to get paid and live(and even then it isn't something i'd consider or risk) i don't see the reason to risk your health.

Dragon.
dragon
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Jul 03, 2004 05:55

Postby hb18 » Mar 17, 2006 15:03

i thought steroids were allegal?
hb18
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Feb 09, 2006 19:37

Postby dragon » Mar 18, 2006 05:26

They are.I believe there are a few countries that legalized them.Mexico was one unless that's now changed.

Dragon.
dragon
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Jul 03, 2004 05:55

Postby CrazyBoy » Mar 18, 2006 13:31

Yes, some countries have legalized them: selling them as pharmaceutical drugs. In my home town, for example, I know some young novice bodybuilders who buy drugs based on steroids at the local drugstore. Once I heard at Tv that a young bodybuilder died from taking steroids. And he was only 17-18 years old. So, think better before you act!
CrazyBoy
 
Posts: 300
Joined: May 16, 2005 15:09
Location: Romania, Oltenita

Postby CrazyBoy » Mar 18, 2006 13:43

But I forgot to add that not all drugs based on steroids have been legalized in Romania. Just those used by pacients and described by their doctors to use them in their recovery after surgery or other medical interventions. That's what i know!
CrazyBoy
 
Posts: 300
Joined: May 16, 2005 15:09
Location: Romania, Oltenita

Postby jaysheldon21 » Mar 18, 2006 16:54

from were iam in england they are illiegal but still very easy to get hold of
jaysheldon21
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mar 17, 2006 08:35

Postby CrazyBoy » Mar 18, 2006 17:56

Still, if you decide to take steroids you must first think of the advantages and of the disadvantages, as Dragon aforementioned. You didn't say why you think of taking steroids and how could it help in your training.
CrazyBoy
 
Posts: 300
Joined: May 16, 2005 15:09
Location: Romania, Oltenita

Postby jaysheldon21 » Mar 18, 2006 19:12

just to get better im going to look into it before i even think about taking them, if i do im not planning on taking them for to long just maybe one cycle of 7 weeks
jaysheldon21
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mar 17, 2006 08:35

Postby mmeloon » Mar 24, 2006 01:55

dragon wrote:Steroids could help any performance athlete.It could help you make weight if you want to move up a weight class,can help you train longer and harder,and the 'roid rage could give you increased aggression when fighting.
There are lots of risks with taking performance enhancing drugs but those should be given to you by someone far more knowledgable than me.

The main thing you have to assess is the increased benefits compared to these risks.
If you aren't a pro who needs to win to get paid and live(and even then it isn't something i'd consider or risk) i don't see the reason to risk your health.

Dragon.


Dragon, with respect, I disagree with your statement that anabolic steroids can help any performance athlete. To my knowlege, the relation between steroid usage and connective tissue injury is still unknown. I did a quick google search but couldn't find anything conclusive, just some random concerns.

Also, I'm not sure that increased aggression is always a good thing in fighting. Perhaps I'm showing my ignorance here, but my understanding is that many top martial artists -- especially those studying Chinese arts -- spend a great deal of effort on "dissolving the ego" and "fighting with balanced emotions". The problem is that when you get overly aggressive, you tend to focus only on offense and leave yourself open, tend to develop "tunnel vision" where you focus largely on the target you are aiming at at the expense of peripheral vision that is necessary to detect roundhouse and cresent kicks, and telegraph your moves with grimises and other such facial expressions.

Anabolic steroids are clearly a benefit to bodybuilders. For athletes involved in explosive combat sports, I'm not so convinced of their overall benefit.

-Mark
mmeloon
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Dec 12, 2003 19:36
Location: Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Postby dragon » Mar 24, 2006 06:53

mmeloon wrote: To my knowlege, the relation between steroid usage and connective tissue injury is still unknown. I did a quick google search but couldn't find anything conclusive, just some random concerns.


It is hard to find legitamate medical infromation on the internet(which is why i suggested someone more knowledgable than me advises).
The info i have refering to injuries comes from the theory(or it may be fact,i don't know) that because of the muscle growth stimulated by anabolic steroids they are used to speed injuries were muscle damage has occured.
Cortisone(the injections you may have to recieve for injuries) is a steroid.

mmeloon wrote:Also, I'm not sure that increased aggression is always a good thing in fighting. Perhaps I'm showing my ignorance here, but my understanding is that many top martial artists -- especially those studying Chinese arts -- spend a great deal of effort on "dissolving the ego" and "fighting with balanced emotions". The problem is that when you get overly aggressive, you tend to focus only on offense and leave yourself open


My explanation of the "aggression" thing was far too brief.Yes,increased rage when fighting offensively can cause stupid mistakes and wild shots that easily miss the target.From a defensive point of view though,aggression/adrenaline has an anaesthetic effect that could help you when under attack.Sometimes the pain doesn't set in for a while after you've calmed down.
You may have felt this if you're a contact fighter or if you've been unlucky enough to have been involved in a more serious physical altercation.

I certainly don't have all the answers(or maybe even the right ones).Just trying to be as objective as possible.


Dragon.
dragon
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Jul 03, 2004 05:55

Postby mmeloon » Mar 24, 2006 11:35

dragon wrote:
mmeloon wrote: To my knowlege, the relation between steroid usage and connective tissue injury is still unknown. I did a quick google search but couldn't find anything conclusive, just some random concerns.


It is hard to find legitamate medical infromation on the internet(which is why i suggested someone more knowledgable than me advises).
The info i have refering to injuries comes from the theory(or it may be fact,i don't know) that because of the muscle growth stimulated by anabolic steroids they are used to speed injuries were muscle damage has occured.
Cortisone(the injections you may have to recieve for injuries) is a steroid.



Yes, but cortisone, prednisone, and their ilk are corticosteroids, not anabolic steroids. You may be correct that anabolic steroids are used to treat damage to muscles. What my post was getting at is that I'm worried that using anabolic steroids may have a detrimental effect on connective tissues, although indirectly. While corticosteroids are often used to treat inflammation of connective tissues, anabolic steroids most certaintly are not. Maybe this is an old wife's tale, but I was always told that because anabolic steroids build up muscle but don't assist in strengthening of connective tissue to support those new muscles that athletes were setting themselves up for injury.

I may be completely wrong. After all, I suspect many football players are taking anabolic steroids. As I say, I did a quick look around the web before posting my original message and couldn't find anything conclusive regarding anabolic steroid usage and connective tissue injury.

-Mark
mmeloon
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Dec 12, 2003 19:36
Location: Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Postby joiv » Mar 27, 2006 09:28

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabolic_steroids
(contains list of positive and negative effects)

Anabolic steroids also have virilizing effects, but by taking an aromatase inhibitor and/or a SERM (these drugs affect aromatisation and estrogen receptor binding respectively), you might reduce the risk of irreversible gynecomastia. (SERM tamoxifen prevents binding to the estrogen recepetor in the breast.)

---

You can't bypass the negative feedback by taking Gonadotropin-releasing hormone (which would increase testicular production of testosterone and prevent testicular atrophy) because of the receptor downregulation that follows the initial increase in LH and FSH, which in turn results in a profound hypogonadal effect. :shock:

Note: The most effective steroids also have the strongest androgenic characteristics.

---

Conclusion:
Do not take steroids!

As testicular atrophy might only be temporary with a moderate intake, gynecomastia is not. (Not yet convinced? I am...)

It also increases the chance of an adverse cardiac event occurring in later life. (One day you suddenly drop dead on the floor...)

Heavy and long-term users of steroids might also experience liver damage and prostate cancer or other medical illness.

---

"On October 22nd, 2004, President Bush signed into law the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004 (S.2195). (Effective from January 20, 2005)

This legislation places both anabolic steroids and prohormones on a list of controlled substances (a new type of 'regulatory control').

Anabolic steroids is a Schedule III drug:
(A) The drug or other substance has a potential for abuse less than the drugs or other substances in schedules I and II.
(B) The drug or other substance has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
(C) Abuse of the drug or other substance may lead to moderate or low physical dependence or high psychological dependence.

These drugs are available only by prescription, though control of wholesale distribution is somewhat less stringent than Schedule II drugs."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_substance)
joiv
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mar 27, 2006 06:13
Location: Norway

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron