Does increase in muscle mass protect or strain joints?

Post questions and tips on developing maximal strength.

Does increase in muscle mass protect or strain joints?

Postby REG » Nov 13, 2011 18:25

I have been learning that in general, strength and endurance exercises are the best for prevent injuries, but I have been wondering as to whether or not muscle mass protect your joints from injury. I've heard from a couple of sources that putting on muscle mass gives protection to the body from impacts by acting as a shock absorber against falls and when you are striking with hard bone surfaces such as the knee and elbow bones. I don't know for sure if this true. However, I heard from other sources that an increase in muscle mass can put excess strain or stress on the joints because the muscles may be too big or heavy for the joints. I would really appreciate it if anyone could let me know and explain to me what is true.
REG
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Dec 22, 2010 22:06

Re: Does increase in muscle mass protect or strain joints?

Postby dragon » Nov 14, 2011 05:32

I have no proven scientific/medical information,i can only give a personal opinion on what i've witnessed over the years....

I think body conditioning and muscle mass are two seperate things.I've seen many bodybuilders who start training in contact sports for the first time and they actually bruise more than the average person does and they feel it more.

You could have a 200lb bodybuilder with a chiselled 6 pack who would go down with one punch to the stomach....Likewise,you could have a 200lb boxer with no definition in his abs who can take body shots.

If you are trying to put on mass and participating in contact sports at the same time,this shouldn't be an issue for you-Your mass and conditioning will develop together.

I don't believe muscle mass in itself could damage joints,it's more the training it takes to get there-Constant heavy weight training to failure,too much volume/frequency,imbalances,etc,etc will all take their toll one day.

This is assuming you are talking natural training.There have been people who use steroids and either a)-Put on more mass than their frame can handle.Or b)-Put on mass too fast for their joints to cope with the extra weight.

Dragon.
dragon
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Jul 03, 2004 05:55

Re: Does increase in muscle mass protect or strain joints?

Postby REG » Nov 14, 2011 14:59

dragon wrote:I think body conditioning and muscle mass are two seperate things.I've seen many bodybuilders who start training in contact sports for the first time and they actually bruise more than the average person does and they feel it more.

You could have a 200lb bodybuilder with a chiselled 6 pack who would go down with one punch to the stomach....Likewise,you could have a 200lb boxer with no definition in his abs who can take body shots.


Interesting...and do you know why a bodybuilder would bruise more and feel more pain than the average person after beginning in a contact sport?

Also, so you don't believe that having large muscle mass can provide cushion against falls, blocks, or tackles which occur
in sports such as football or MMA,etc.?

Why does Mr. Kurz suggest to lift 2-3 sets of 6 to 12 reps of moderate-to-heavy weight, instead of lifting 2-3 sets of 1-5 reps for most maximal strength with minimal muscle growth?

dragon wrote:I don't believe muscle mass in itself could damage joints,it's more the training it takes to get there-Constant heavy weight training to failure,too much volume/frequency,imbalances,etc,etc will all take their toll one day.


In addition, I have been wondering what are some practical methods for measuring strength, endurance, and flexibility imbalances? I know that Mr. Kurz explains a couple methods in the book, the Science of Sports Training, but they don't seem that practical to me such as measuring the kgf or going into a laboratory to get your muscle balances measured or examined?


Once again sorry for all these questions, but I like to get as much info. as I can so that I maximize my training without jeopardizing my body to injuries as well as learning great knowledge and wisdom about the human body. I am very grateful for all your help dragon.
REG
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Dec 22, 2010 22:06

Re: Does increase in muscle mass protect or strain joints?

Postby dragon » Nov 14, 2011 15:28

REG wrote:Interesting...and do you know why a bodybuilder would bruise more and feel more pain than the average person after beginning in a contact sport?


Again,i have no scientific data......Some say they nerves are closer to the surface as they have less bodyfat.This isn't limited to contact sports.Bodybuilders also usually feel more pain from intense massage,getting tattooed,etc.

REG wrote:Also, so you don't believe that having large muscle mass can provide cushion against falls, blocks, or tackles which occur
in sports such as football or MMA,etc.?


There's no doubt it can provide extra cushioning,and extra muscle mass would help protect bones.....But likewise there are plenty of lightweight MMA fighters who can still take falls/strikes better than a 200lb bodybuilder could....Because they're conditioned to do so..


REG wrote:In addition, I have been wondering what are some practical methods for measuring strength, endurance, and flexibility imbalances? I know that Mr. Kurz explains a couple methods in the book, the Science of Sports Training, but they don't seem that practical to me such as measuring the kgf or going into a laboratory to get your muscle balances measured or examined?


I've never felt the need to try and measure imbalances.I carry injuries due to poor training in my youth.If my training would've been balanced,these injuries would never have happened.....If you have a good training programme,giving full attention to your entire body and not favouring one bodypart over another,it shouldn't be a problem.

Dragon.
dragon
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Jul 03, 2004 05:55

Re: Does increase in muscle mass protect or strain joints?

Postby REG » Nov 15, 2011 15:45

dragon wrote:Again,i have no scientific data......Some say they nerves are closer to the surface as they have less bodyfat.This isn't limited to contact sports.Bodybuilders also usually feel more pain from intense massage,getting tattooed,etc.


Wait, I just realized yesterday that more bruising occurs in females due to increased subcutaneous fat compared to women. Also, they say that obese people are more prone to bruises than normal or healthy weighted people. I can understand the part about bodybuilders feeling more pain, and I understand that you only have anecdotal evidence to prove your point about bodybuilders bruising more than the average person because they have less bodyfat. However, I am curious as to how one could explain, at least through an educated guess, the logic or reason as to why all those things would stand true.

Also, when you say that a bodybuilder would actually bruise more than the average person does, do you mean that they would get bruises specifically on their muscles, skin, or bones?
REG
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Dec 22, 2010 22:06

Re: Does increase in muscle mass protect or strain joints?

Postby dragon » Nov 16, 2011 04:50

REG wrote:Wait, I just realized yesterday that more bruising occurs in females due to increased subcutaneous fat compared to women. Also, they say that obese people are more prone to bruises than normal or healthy weighted people. I can understand the part about bodybuilders feeling more pain, and I understand that you only have anecdotal evidence to prove your point about bodybuilders bruising more than the average person because they have less bodyfat. However, I am curious as to how one could explain, at least through an educated guess, the logic or reason as to why all those things would stand true.


It certainly wouldn't be an educated guess,only a theory(which may or may not be correct)-A bruise is damage to blood vessels.As bodybuilders are usually a lot more vascular and when they're in contest prep,their skin is paper thin due to stripping bodyfat/water,then doesn't it make sense that more damage could be caused?

REG wrote:Also, when you say that a bodybuilder would actually bruise more than the average person does, do you mean that they would get bruises specifically on their muscles, skin, or bones?


As this is only something i have witnessed,i wouldn't know how deep/intense the bruising would be.Based on what i've said above,i would guess it's limited to skin.

Dragon.
dragon
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Jul 03, 2004 05:55


Return to Maximal Strength

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron